HORSEPOWER

ENGINE BUILDING, HORSE POWER TIPS, ENGINE QUESTIONS, HOT NEW PARTS, DYNO TESTED FACTS, HEAD PORTING, ALL AROUND ENGIINE TALK.

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

hyd. roller or solid roller ?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FORD MAN

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-07-02

PostSubject: hyd. roller or solid roller ?   Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:26 pm

what would be the better choice to run in my 460? its bored .040, over has 10:1, edelbrock heads, a strip dominator intake with a 850cfm holly and the rotating assembly is all forged. so should i run a hyd. roller or solid roller cam? is there much differance in power?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PlymouthTony

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: hyd. roller or solid roller ?   Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:31 pm

FORD MAN wrote:
what would be the better choice to run in my 460? its bored .040, over has 10:1, edelbrock heads, a strip dominator intake with a 850cfm holly and the rotating assembly is all forged. so should i run a hyd. roller or solid roller cam? is there much differance in power?

Depends how much you want to adjust your valves. A solid Roller needs adjustment every 40-60 hours of being driven. And if you want to run a solid roller you need to run an aggressive seat pressure rate, around 300lbs at the valve seat.
But hydraulics make good power too, not as much as a solid roller, but it's more maintence free.
And if you wish to run a solid Roller make sure you have a good set of one piece valves, wouldn't want to see a head of a valve drop off into your motor! Surprised

Some guys run a solid roller lifter on a hydraulic roller cam, gives you wicked quick response without having to run the Aggressive Valves springs. But if you do not Cam-Wear is alot faster.

For street a hydraulic-roller works awesome, for race you can't beat a solid roller, but a solid roller costs more set-up money Very Happy

DEVIL MAN
Admin

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: hyd. roller or solid roller ?   Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:38 pm

if you going to have it as a street/strip racer and for all out power i would say solid roller because on a engine like that you gonna want to keep up on the tuning so it runs at its peak anyway. but pw383426 has a good point about solid roller lifters on a hyd. roller cam because you get the best of both worlds so i would go with pw383426's idea. what size cam were you thinking?

FORD MAN

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: hyd. roller or solid roller ?   Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:49 pm

thanx for the tips it sounds like the sollid lifter on a hyd. cam would work good. redneck here are the cam specs i was thinking lift int:.666 exh:675 dur. int:243 exh:249 @.050" its a lunati voodoo cam does this sound good?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PlymouthTony

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: hyd. roller or solid roller ?   Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:51 pm

FORD MAN wrote:
thanx for the tips it sounds like the sollid lifter on a hyd. cam would work good. redneck here are the cam specs i was thinking lift int:.666 exh:675 dur. int:243 exh:249 @.050" its a lunati voodoo cam does this sound good?

Sounds like a real runner! Maybe a little more duration would suit a strip/street needs

TheMachinistXtreme

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: hyd. roller or solid roller ?   Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:09 pm

It all depends on your ramp rates, duration at .050, .100, .150...
Using solid rollers on a hydraulic roller cam is just a budget way of going solid.
To do it right you should have full roller springs, retainers, and keepers.

If you're going to run it on the street I would runner hydraulic roller as well for ease of tuning.

But for a combo like that some more duration would help for strip use, but without a full cam specs it's only a good guesstimate.
PS: Try and get a custom ground cam, production cams are rarely on the money as they advertise it for
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hyd. roller or solid roller ?   

Back to top Go down

hyd. roller or solid roller ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HORSEPOWER :: horsepower :: horsepower talk-
Jump to: