HORSEPOWER
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HORSEPOWER

ENGINE BUILDING, HORSE POWER TIPS, ENGINE QUESTIONS, HOT NEW PARTS, DYNO TESTED FACTS, HEAD PORTING, ALL AROUND ENGIINE TALK.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PlymouthTony

PlymouthTony

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2007-07-02

Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Empty
PostSubject: Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 12:48 pm

Just wanted to prove one more time why running a Ford is a better choice than running a Chevy... just take a look at this link! Smile
http://home.earthlink.net/~kaneofthenation/highflowdynamics/id15.html
Back to top Go down
DEVIL MAN
Admin
DEVIL MAN

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: not true   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 12:59 pm

ok so you have a point on a couple of things about the blocks but in the end a chevy will out perform a ford buck for buck, to get a ford to perform like a chevy you would need lots of head work or aftermarket heads were as chevy had alot of great factory casting that need little work to get the cfm needed support 500hp
Back to top Go down
https://horsepowertalk.forumotion.com
PlymouthTony

PlymouthTony

PostSubject: Re: Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 1:10 pm

redneck wrote:
ok so you have a point on a couple of things about the blocks but in the end a chevy will out perform a ford buck for buck, to get a ford to perform like a chevy you would need lots of head work or aftermarket heads were as chevy had alot of great factory casting that need little work to get the cfm needed support 500hp

So what exactly makes the Chevy heads better? Is it the valve shroud? Runners? Where exactly are you getting your information? rabbit
Back to top Go down
PlymouthTony

PlymouthTony

PostSubject: Re: Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 1:16 pm

Just to get compression out of a Ford is easialy done
FORD:Good compression ratios with flat top pistons (72-96cc combustion chambers)

As for Chevy
Chevy:Huge, heavy dome pistons required to get just 10.5:1 c/r (98-122cc combustion chambers)
Back to top Go down
PlymouthTony

PlymouthTony

PostSubject: Re: Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 1:38 pm

Ford 460 Iron/ C9VE-A
VALVE:2.080/1.656
valve lift, int/ex
0.400 184/119
0.500 217/129
0.600 239/130
0.700 260/-

Chevy 156 Peanut Iron
VALVE:2.060/1.720
valve lift, int/ex
0.400 222/141
0.500 226/156
0.600 226/160
0.700 227/162
Back to top Go down
DEVIL MAN
Admin
DEVIL MAN

PostSubject: bad comparison in heads   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 2:11 pm

if you want to compare flow number be sure to use the heads that are most alike to each other. the 156 peanut heads are not equal to the ford (dove "c" heads) a better comparison is the 236 peanuts.
Back to top Go down
PlymouthTony

PlymouthTony

PostSubject: Re: Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 3:02 pm

redneck wrote:
if you want to compare flow number be sure to use the heads that are most alike to each other. the 156 peanut heads are not equal to the ford (dove "c" heads) a better comparison is the 236 peanuts.

Umm there both common RV/truck heads so what's uncomparable to them?
There both very much same price range and availability so they are in fact great heads to compare to each other, its not like they're race heads.
Back to top Go down
TheMachinistXtreme

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 3:10 pm

redneck wrote:

I don't know what experience exactly you have with head flowing and such but to say that Chevy heads are superior to Ford heads is very ignorant.
The roof and floor design of a started D3V or D2VAA are superior to that of a common oval truck port on a Chevy.
Trust me I run only Chevys, got one in my 1973 Truck and a 468 in my TPR boat.
I've worked with all heads, flowing and machineing, and start BBF heads are great for how much you can get just from porting, and they're not bad from cast either!
Trust me we can argue about this for a long time, and I would like to hear what makes you think the Chevy heads are better. I will always be a Chevy lover but from my shop in Mesa, Az, and my experiences is that plain out Chevy Heads are better than Ford is ridiculous. Excluding Rectangle Ports and Cobra Heads exluded.
And by the way just happy to stop by in a new forum
Back to top Go down
DEVIL MAN
Admin
DEVIL MAN

PostSubject: kinda off stock head topic   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 4:08 pm

this is geting out of stock head talk, but if fords head design was so good why is trick flow making ford heads with chevy port designs?
Back to top Go down
FORD MAN

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 4:47 pm

i dont know if you guys are just talking big block or not but in the small block world i would say chevy is better, i resantly built a 351w and wanted to have the heads punched out and ported. the biggest valve that i could put in the stock heads was a 1.94 intake wich really made it hard to get descent power beacause the people porting my heads said that since im limited to that size any extensive porting would start to over flow the valve. so i ended up buying some edelbrock heads instead. now in the term of big block i think there pretty much equal to each other they both had some great factory heads.
Back to top Go down
PlymouthTony

PlymouthTony

PostSubject: Re: Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 4:51 pm

FORD MAN wrote:
i dont know if you guys are just talking big block or not but in the small block world i would say chevy is better, i resantly built a 351w and wanted to have the heads punched out and ported. the biggest valve that i could put in the stock heads was a 1.94 intake wich really made it hard to get descent power beacause the people porting my heads said that since im limited to that size any extensive porting would start to over flow the valve. so i ended up buying some edelbrock heads instead. now in the term of big block i think there pretty much equal to each other they both had some great factory heads.

Sounds good. Yah we were talking bout big blocl but yah some factory small block heads are like that. Actually a lot of factory cast heads are limited to valve sizes.
Back to top Go down
DEVIL MAN
Admin
DEVIL MAN

PostSubject: ford vs. chevy   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 5:23 pm

so your saying that if you built two of the same engines one ford one chevy like 460 vs 454 or 514vs510 that they would both make the same horse power with the same head mods, same size cam, carb, headers ect. or would one out perform the other?
Back to top Go down
PlymouthTony

PlymouthTony

PostSubject: Re: Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 5:25 pm

redneck wrote:
so your saying that if you built two of the same engines one ford one chevy like 460 vs 454 or 514vs510 that they would both make the same horse power with the same head mods, same size cam, carb, headers ect. or would one out perform the other?
Don't you Remember that Issue of Hot-Rod where they did all the same Mods?
And Buick ended up winning? haha cheers
Back to top Go down
DEVIL MAN
Admin
DEVIL MAN

PostSubject: Re: Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 5:44 pm

yes i do but im talking about ford vs chevy. and at least in that build of a GM won, even if it wasn't technically a chevy
Back to top Go down
PlymouthTony

PlymouthTony

PostSubject: Re: Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 5:47 pm

redneck wrote:
yes i do but im talking about ford vs chevy. and at least in that build of a GM won, even if it wasn't technically a chevy

I bet if they had equal mods they would runn pretty much the same, or the ford would run a little better due to it's rod-stroke ratio afro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys   Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Fords Are Better Than Chevys
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HORSEPOWER :: horsepower :: horsepower talk-
Jump to: